Yeah so basically the guy in the stands who every time the opposing team goes for a free throw jumps up screaming at the top of his lungs, waving a pool noodle around to distract him... just literally walked on the court and smacked the ball out of their hand. The previous behavior was annoying and borderline, this is not.
A line got crossed. All the "Sortas" and "maybes" and "racially tinged" and "the kind of thing a racist says..." and all the other modifiers just got dropped. Sort of using the N-word you don't get more like... cartoonishly racist then the old "Go back where you came from" routine.
Seriously if Trump's plan is to continue his "Just distract them by doing another outrageous thing" tactic... he's gonna eat a baby on live TV next
ETA: Hell... now that I think about I've never even heard a legit, actual racist actually do the whole "Go back where you came from routine." It's too cliche, too on the nose. I've argued for a while now that the reason the Left isn't as good at fighting racism as they could be is that they have a very, very odd view of racism that doesn't actually exist. I lived in the deep South for most all of my life and that TV/Movie version of racism doesn't really exist all that much outside of the extreme margins. Real racism is this weird, hard to explain "one step removed" thing where nobody has problems with this or that minority group, they just always worked hard to find an excuse to have a problem with this or that minority group. I had relatives that were pretty much as racist as you could get on a functional level without straight up eating a black person for Sunday dinner, but even they conceptualized in this weird "I don't hate black people, I'm just going to always have an excuse why I'm hating this particular black person" way.
We can argued over how prevalent racism is in America. But open, proud racism is rare in America.
But now we have this and I have no idea what to think or how to react.
A line got crossed. All the "Sortas" and "maybes" and "racially tinged" and "the kind of thing a racist says..." and all the other modifiers just got dropped. Sort of using the N-word you don't get more like... cartoonishly racist then the old "Go back where you came from" routine.
Seriously if Trump's plan is to continue his "Just distract them by doing another outrageous thing" tactic... he's gonna eat a baby on live TV next
ETA: Hell... now that I think about I've never even heard a legit, actual racist actually do the whole "Go back where you came from routine." It's too cliche, too on the nose. I've argued for a while now that the reason the Left isn't as good at fighting racism as they could be is that they have a very, very odd view of racism that doesn't actually exist. I lived in the deep South for most all of my life and that TV/Movie version of racism doesn't really exist all that much outside of the extreme margins. Real racism is this weird, hard to explain "one step removed" thing where nobody has problems with this or that minority group, they just always worked hard to find an excuse to have a problem with this or that minority group. I had relatives that were pretty much as racist as you could get on a functional level without straight up eating a black person for Sunday dinner, but even they conceptualized in this weird "I don't hate black people, I'm just going to always have an excuse why I'm hating this particular black person" way.
We can argued over how prevalent racism is in America. But open, proud racism is rare in America.
But now we have this and I have no idea what to think or how to react.
Last edited: