• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

MAGA brats mock Native American with "build the wall" chants

Okay, I've been away from this thread for awhile.



Can anyone summarize exactly what lie it is that will be the centerpiece of the lawsuits? Or does anyone even know yet and it is all just speculation?



The ones you repeated when you wrote the OP.

ETA: Oops. I can't even claim to be ninja'd. I just responded knee jerk fashion before reading what others said.
 
Last edited:
Probably, whatever press report(s) made claims like the following (demonstrable untruths highlighted):

"Some kids from a high school in Kentucky, Covington Catholic, wandered over from the debauchery of the forced birth rally to inflict some misery on the Native Americans.

They surrounded them. Started chanting "build the wall" and at least one of them got in real close and seemed to try and do a stare down. Thankfully the man, Nathan Philips of the Omaha Tribe (and a Vietnam veteran), chose not to engage with evil that day and just continued his song."


Outside of the Vietnam thing (not relevant) everything else I wrote there is 100% true.
 
Outside of the Vietnam thing (not relevant) everything else I wrote there is 100% true.

No, Travis, it pretty clearly isn't. With all the footage, just show me one clip of the kids chanting "build the wall". Just one.

And it was Phillips who wandered over to confront the kids who he, with prejudice, assumed were the bad guys because they were white and picking on black people.

(Oh, and the white boy didn't get in Phillips' face, Phillips got into his.)

Other than that, you got it 100% accurate, though.
 
I'd like to add in Travis' defense, he was an unknowing victim of the false narrative being portrayed by the media. Everything he conveyed about the incident in the OP was exactly as it was being delivered by the media. Even though we now know the portrayal has been proven as a false one, Travis is not to blame for the inaccuracies of the media and citing them in his OP. The piece targeted a specific group and the media raked in the $. It was very well played, though illegal.

Chris B.
 
Last edited:
Outside of the Vietnam thing (not relevant) everything else I wrote there is 100% true.
When someone says/writes something that's false, by no means do I jump to the conclusion they have lied. More likely, they are simply wrong.

But once the unambiguous facts have been revealed, and that person fails to acknowledge, at that point a lie has been told. You're a blatant liar.

I suspect that your lies are driven by blind zeal. Perhaps one day you will have insight into the thinking of the right wing zealots we both hold in such low esteem.
 
When someone says/writes something that's false, by no means do I jump to the conclusion they have lied. More likely, they are simply wrong.

But once the unambiguous facts have been revealed, and that person fails to acknowledge, at that point a lie has been told. You're a blatant liar.

I suspect that your lies are driven by blind zeal. Perhaps one day you will have insight into the thinking of the right wing zealots we both hold in such low esteem.
There is another explanation, delusion driven by motivated reasoning. In this case, the difference between a lie and delusion is mostly just a pedantic detail but hey, its possible to be so blinded by ideology as to be unable to see the truth.
 
I'd like to add in Travis' defense, he was an unknowing victim of the false narrative being portrayed by the media. Everything he conveyed about the incident in the OP was exactly as it was being delivered by the media. Even though we now know the portrayal has been proven as a false one, Travis is not to blame for the inaccuracies of the media and citing them in his OP. The piece targeted a specific group and the media raked in the $. It was very well played, though illegal.

Chris B.

I suspect there is also an element of a phenomenon that is far too common in America today, which is the "news island". So many Americans only hear news from the sources that are going to publish the news that their readers want to hear, with the bias that they want to include.

When Travis wrote the OP, everything in it came from sources which one may have expected to be reputable. CNN. The New York Times. WaPo. They all carried essentially the same information that Travis included. Some of it was slightly toned down or nuanced, but basically, they said the same thing as in the OP.

This was reinforced by visual imagery. The widely published still photograph seemed to fit the mainstream narrative perfectly.

For me, something didn't quite smell right about the story. I didn't think the behavior described was something I would expect from a Catholic high school group on a "field trip", even if the purpose of the trip was protest. On the other hand, it did fit perfectly with the sort of parody of Catholic high schoolers wearing Trump hats that might be peddled by anti-Trump news sources. When the people in a news story seem like caricatures or perfectly fitting stereotypes, I always get suspicious. When I saw the video, even the short clip initially published, I became more suspicious. Sandmann's expression included a certain bemusement at times, and the kids in the background seemed more like they were jamming to the beat than any sort of mockery. It was a little bit of disrespect and maybe some "cultural appropriation", but it didn't seem like a deliberate assault or deliberate ridicule. More like a touch of cluelessness. Nevertheless, nothing was so far out of place that it couldn't fit in with the narrative being pushed of racist Trump supporters being jerks, so the narrative was set in people's minds.

The longer video, and other evidence piling up, demolished that narrative, but here's where the "news islands" come in. The corrections and retractions, as always, weren't given the center stage attention that the original accusations had received. Unless you watched Fox News, or conservative outlets, you could easily miss everything else. Many people who post here are the sorts of folks who look for multiple sources, and who investigate stories that don't quite pass the smell test, but I'm guessing that Travis doesn't go to nationalreview.com very often. I'm sure there are millions of people in America who are sure that the story from the OP is completely, or at least essentially, correct.
 
I suspect there is also an element of a phenomenon that is far too common in America today, which is the "news island". So many Americans only hear news from the sources that are going to publish the news that their readers want to hear, with the bias that they want to include.



When Travis wrote the OP, everything in it came from sources which one may have expected to be reputable. CNN. The New York Times. WaPo. They all carried essentially the same information that Travis included. Some of it was slightly toned down or nuanced, but basically, they said the same thing as in the OP.



This was reinforced by visual imagery. The widely published still photograph seemed to fit the mainstream narrative perfectly.

"Enemy of the people," sounds extreme when the president says it. But it's not like the media is your friend.
 
dismissive attitude

The Washington Post has filed a motion to dismiss the suit. "The Post said its overall coverage was accurate and 'ultimately favorable' to Nick." USA Today. According the The Blaze, the Washington Post "asserts its stories were accurate and did not impugn the reputation of Covington (Ky.) Catholic High School student Nicholas Sandmann, who entered a social media storm through video footage shot during a chaotic afternoon."

I am not a big fan of the two lawsuits (there is a second lawsuit against CNN), but these arguments are pretty thin gruel IMO.
 
Even if the lawsuits are dismissed or decided in the press outlets’ favor, I would hope that the press has learned something from this. Like: maybe you don’t need to report on every viral video immediately without investigating it like you would according to journalistic principles?

I think the press saw the video and rushed to a conclusion, the same many others came to, and ran with that conclusion: Smug kids in MAGA hats mock Native American Veteran. If you look at CNNs current story, they tell you up front that the headline and article has been updated several times to reflect additional reporting. So maybe you should have done that additional reporting and then published a story?

And why can’t the news be more neutral? Report the facts and don’t try and reach conclusions.
 
Even if the lawsuits are dismissed or decided in the press outlets’ favor, I would hope that the press has learned something from this. Like: maybe you don’t need to report on every viral video immediately without investigating it like you would according to journalistic principles?

I think the press saw the video and rushed to a conclusion, the same many others came to, and ran with that conclusion: Smug kids in MAGA hats mock Native American Veteran. If you look at CNNs current story, they tell you up front that the headline and article has been updated several times to reflect additional reporting. So maybe you should have done that additional reporting and then published a story?
And why can’t the news be more neutral? Report the facts and don’t try and reach conclusions.

You mean some crazy concept like, "We report, you decide"? It'd never fly in todays world. :rolleyes:
 

Are you here for TBD's takeout order of crow and egg-on-face? How mighty brave of you to show up on behalf of the other paleo-conservatives who had this case adjudicated and were looking to see Fake News, Inc. suffer big time!

You can take solace in the thought that some anonymous fat cat conservative group lost their shirts on this. Weasel, Weasel, Weasel, and Ambulance Chaser LLC will not be adding this to their highlight reel, I guess.
 
Are you here for TBD's takeout order of crow and egg-on-face? How mighty brave of you to show up on behalf of the other paleo-conservatives who had this case adjudicated and were looking to see Fake News, Inc. suffer big time!

You can take solace in the thought that some anonymous fat cat conservative group lost their shirts on this. Weasel, Weasel, Weasel, and Ambulance Chaser LLC will not be adding this to their highlight reel, I guess.
I will admit that I mostly kept this thread going to irritate TBD. But I did absolutely see this lawsuit being thrown out because, even if you buy into the idea that they were wrong on everything, they were only reporting on what was currently the narrative on social media. And most of them, including The Washington Post, were reporting on the social media phenomenon.


Anyways, LMAO.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom