• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

MAGA brats mock Native American with "build the wall" chants

You claimed that Sandmann didn't need to prove any false statements. There's nothing "factually correct" about that.

I didn't say that was factually correct, that would be silly.

That is legally correct as far as common law defamation goes.

happy to "clear" that up my man!
 
The bit I find interesting is something we'll never know - what exactly was going through Phillips' mind at the time? Did he genuinely think the MagaCrew were picking on the defenseless BHI? Did he honestly believe that banging his drum a few inches from someone's face was going to usher in some 'spiritual peace' or whatever to the situation?

If he was simply trying to get attention, to put himself in the middle of a conflict to raise his own media profile or get some street cred or whatever other self-serving thing he might have had in mind I could understand that. It's still a despicable act but it at least would make an odd kind of sense from his own PoV.

But if he really did see things as he claimed, and really did think his actions were going to turn a bad situation all puppy dogs and posies, then ... wow. Wouldn't make what he did okay, of course. Especially the after-incident interviews he gave about it. But I'll admit to a morbid curiosity on the question of douchebag vs dangerously delusional.
 
Thanks man, it ain't too often that someone stands up to their fellow travelers, but a fella can dream that they will stop attacking other posters for posting factually correct info.

Thanks for having my back.

No worries mate. I'll always defend you when you're right.

Hans
 
Phillips was certainly respectable for donning the uniform and serving his country. HVAC maintenance is a serious and important job. I personally have a huge appreciation for the value of all the "boring" jobs that are necessary to make a functioning military.
Your welcome man.

The bit I find interesting is something we'll never know - what exactly was going through Phillips' mind at the time? Did he genuinely think the MagaCrew were picking on the defenseless BHI? Did he honestly believe that banging his drum a few inches from someone's face was going to usher in some 'spiritual peace' or whatever to the situation?

If he was simply trying to get attention, to put himself in the middle of a conflict to raise his own media profile or get some street cred or whatever other self-serving thing he might have had in mind I could understand that. It's still a despicable act but it at least would make an odd kind of sense from his own PoV.

But if he really did see things as he claimed, and really did think his actions were going to turn a bad situation all puppy dogs and posies, then ... wow. Wouldn't make what he did okay, of course. Especially the after-incident interviews he gave about it. But I'll admit to a morbid curiosity on the question of douchebag vs dangerously delusional.
My money is a little of both but mostly harmless kook. That's how he's come across in interviews to me anyway.
 
The bit I find interesting is something we'll never know - what exactly was going through Phillips' mind at the time? Did he genuinely think the MagaCrew were picking on the defenseless BHI? Did he honestly believe that banging his drum a few inches from someone's face was going to usher in some 'spiritual peace' or whatever to the situation?

If he was simply trying to get attention, to put himself in the middle of a conflict to raise his own media profile or get some street cred or whatever other self-serving thing he might have had in mind I could understand that. It's still a despicable act but it at least would make an odd kind of sense from his own PoV.

But if he really did see things as he claimed, and really did think his actions were going to turn a bad situation all puppy dogs and posies, then ... wow. Wouldn't make what he did okay, of course. Especially the after-incident interviews he gave about it. But I'll admit to a morbid curiosity on the question of douchebag vs dangerously delusional.

The facebook page of his colleague was linked here at one time. He told Nathan that the MAGA kids were being mean to the actual hate group so nathan went and pounded the drum in their faces to own the cons.
 
I didn't say that was factually correct, that would be silly.

That is legally correct as far as common law defamation goes.

happy to "clear" that up my man!

And you're still wrong! If Sandmann can't prove a false statement, at least to the "preponderance of the evidence" level, then he has no cause for a defamation tort.

I would be happy to "clear" that up for you if I could, but it seems to be impossible to get through your hubris bubble.
 
The bit I find interesting is something we'll never know - what exactly was going through Phillips' mind at the time? Did he genuinely think the MagaCrew were picking on the defenseless BHI? Did he honestly believe that banging his drum a few inches from someone's face was going to usher in some 'spiritual peace' or whatever to the situation?

If he was simply trying to get attention, to put himself in the middle of a conflict to raise his own media profile or get some street cred or whatever other self-serving thing he might have had in mind I could understand that. It's still a despicable act but it at least would make an odd kind of sense from his own PoV.

But if he really did see things as he claimed, and really did think his actions were going to turn a bad situation all puppy dogs and posies, then ... wow. Wouldn't make what he did okay, of course. Especially the after-incident interviews he gave about it. But I'll admit to a morbid curiosity on the question of douchebag vs dangerously delusional.
Body of work strongly suggests douchebag.
 
And you're still wrong! If Sandmann can't prove a false statement, at least to the "preponderance of the evidence" level, then he has no cause for a defamation tort.

I would be happy to "clear" that up for you if I could, but it seems to be impossible to get through your hubris bubble.

The Kentucky Supreme court, the Kentucky court of appeals and I bow to your google fu research powers,
 
Hoo boy that salty most military people are racist, i do know what phillips actually said is one spicy hot take!

Mama mia!
 
Fun fact: I served in a special operations airborne unit that deployed to former Yugoslavia in the 1990s, as part of the NATO intervention there.
And I appreciate your service, no matter how mundane you might describe it. I also appreciate the thoughtful reply you crafted here. I understand full-well how careful veterans tend to be in deflecting any praise or accolades for their service. I work with veterans and reservists every day and to a person they are in my experience overflowing with humility despite extraordinary capability.

I also understand that there are veterans of questionable character, too. It is sincerely douchey to lie about one's military service, and little to no better if it's a lie of omission in which someone else fills in unspoken details. There is no question that Phillips has been guilty of the latter, and probably also the former, on more than one occasion. As you also pointed out, he wasn't exactly a model reservist while he was servicing those HVACs.

I try not to put it that way, though, since it connotes a lot of experiences that I never actually had.
That is honorable of you. How do you describe it, though? In this reply you provided something like 6 or 7 sentences to explain, but surely you wouldn't go into all that if you were being asked in an interview "Are you a veteran?"

Phillips could have replied to that question over the years with something like "I was a Marine Corps Reservist stationed in California, 1972–1976" and maybe we wouldn't be having this discussion. Instead, he seems to have most often described himself as a "veteran from the Vietnam War era", which is evidently accurate, but douchey.

Why he chose to describe his service that way is to me a puzzle. I'm not convinced that he's been doing that to glom on to some greater prestige than he's due. For one, I actually find the former, more detailed description a lot more impressive than the vague Vietnam era stuff.

And why would he need greater stature? The dude is already a hero to the DAPL protestors. His activist-cred is sky high.

Most important, Phillips must know that claiming military cred he hadn't earned would be a one-way ticket to the dung heap of history in the eyes of veterans who saw combat. If he's trying to build stature for himself, claiming something he shouldn't in a television interview and pissing off every military family in the country is the worst possible approach, right? I mean, maybe he's just an idiot? That's not much better than a douchebag, I admit, but it might be a more parsimonious explanation.

As a former soldier myself, I'm offended at Phillips' misrepresentation of his service. I wish you wouldn't make excuses for it.
I understand, and I can't claim that I'm not making those excuses for him by positing additional excuses. I hope you can appreciate though that I am really just trying to make a good faith effort to better understand Phillips' claims. It's easy to jump on the bandwagon that he's a stolen-valor creep and therefore is lower than pond scum and has zero credibility. If I end up there, so be it. At this point, however, I still see room for nuance in Phillips' case.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom