W.D.Clinger
Philosopher
more slapstick from markie, optiongeek, and Mills
With my highlighting of the relevant numbers:
As I noted in a subsequent post, quoted below, Reality Check inadvertently swapped the experimental value with Mill's calculated value, both from the lithium row of Table 10.1, page 314 of Mills's Big Book of Boo-Boos.
optiongeek said he calculated 5.4089 using Mills's equation. According to Table 10.1, page 314, Mills calculated 5.40390, not 5.4089. I thought optiongeek had simply dropped the digit 3 from both of the numbers highlighted in the above quotation.
When I responded, I noted Reality Check's mistake but corrected optiongeek's apparent mistake without calling attention to it: see the highlighted number below.
Although I corrected optiongeek's apparent error without rubbing his nose in it, Reality Check noted optiongeek's apparent mistake:
optiongeek responded by calling our attention to a boo-boo in Mills's Big Book of Boo-Boos:
optiongeek is correct! The mistake was made by Mills, not by optiongeek.
According to Mills equation (10.25), page 310, the ionization energy for lithium is 5.3230 + 0.08599, which equals 5.40899, which Mills quite reasonably rounds to 5.4090.
In Table 10.1, however, Mills says the ionization energy he had calculated for lithium is 5.40390, not the 5.4090 claimed by Mills equation (10.25).
According to Table 10.1, the experimental value is 5.39172. By reporting 5.40390 in Table 10.1 instead of the 5.4090 present in Mills equation (10.25), Mills was able to reduce the relative error he reports in Table 10.1 from 0.00319 to 0.00225.
According to both optiongeek and markie (and who could doubt either of them?), Mills equation (10.25) is correct, which means the calculated value reported by Mills in Table 10.1 is wrong, as is the relative error in his calculation.
Is anyone really surprised that Mills made this mistake in a direction that reduced the relative error he reported in Table 10.1?
I apologize for failing to spot Mills's error. I thank you and optiongeek for bringing Mills's error to our attention.
Although markie claims to recall a problem I had "with the magnetic term result", I recall no such problem. I am absolutely certain I had not claimed any problem with the particular piece of the energy calculated by equation (10.156). In light of those facts, I remain convinced that optiongeek cited that equation simply because he was impressed that Mills had simplified the triple integral correctly, and thought we would be as impressed as he was by Mills's ability to get the right answer for a very simple exercise in freshman calculus.
Just as markie continues to think we are impressed by his repeated denials of interferometry, and by his ignorance of single-photon versions of the double slit experiment, and by his suggestion that we ask a competent physicist whether the shell theorem applies to a situation in which the shell theorem obviously applies.
(Several competent physicists have already replied to that nonsense, for which I thank them.)
With my highlighting of the relevant numbers:
As shown below, Mills made some kind of mistake. I don't know whether his mistake was deliberate, but his mistake was made in a direction that made one of his calculated results appear closer to the experimental value than it actually was.But of course Mills is at least ignorant and probably lying.
Page 314, Table 10.1 Ionization Energies fro some three-electron atoms. He gets every ionization energy wrong! For example, 5.40390 (experiment value) is not 5.39172 (his value) for Li. Thesis repeated up to twenty electron atoms.
As I noted in a subsequent post, quoted below, Reality Check inadvertently swapped the experimental value with Mill's calculated value, both from the lithium row of Table 10.1, page 314 of Mills's Big Book of Boo-Boos.
Actually, I get 5.4089 when I do the GUTCP-based calculation. Mills calculated value (Eq 10.25) is 5.4090.
optiongeek said he calculated 5.4089 using Mills's equation. According to Table 10.1, page 314, Mills calculated 5.40390, not 5.4089. I thought optiongeek had simply dropped the digit 3 from both of the numbers highlighted in the above quotation.
When I responded, I noted Reality Check's mistake but corrected optiongeek's apparent mistake without calling attention to it: see the highlighted number below.
RealityCheck inadvertently interchanged the value calculated by Mills with the measured ionization energy. RealityCheck's point stands: the value calculated using standard quantum mechanics is 12 times as close to the experimental value as the value calculated by Mills.
5.39271223 eV.
Comparison:
Code:5.39171495 ; experimental value (per NIST) 5.39271223 ; calculated using quantum mechanics [HILITE]5.40390[/HILITE] ; as calculated by Mills in his Big Book
Although I corrected optiongeek's apparent error without rubbing his nose in it, Reality Check noted optiongeek's apparent mistake:
5.4089 is not 5.40390. Either you are missing a '3' (5.40389) or your calculation is wrong since you claim to be using Mills derivation. Or Mills is wrong and you have correctly used Mills derivation.
optiongeek responded by calling our attention to a boo-boo in Mills's Big Book of Boo-Boos:
Think you need to source that "3". I don't see it in the Eq 10.25 that appears my version of GUTCP. If you are accusing me of sloppiness, then fair enough. I've been known to transpose figures from time to time. But when you do, please make sure I'm the one who was the source of sloppiness.
optiongeek is correct! The mistake was made by Mills, not by optiongeek.
According to Mills equation (10.25), page 310, the ionization energy for lithium is 5.3230 + 0.08599, which equals 5.40899, which Mills quite reasonably rounds to 5.4090.
In Table 10.1, however, Mills says the ionization energy he had calculated for lithium is 5.40390, not the 5.4090 claimed by Mills equation (10.25).
According to Table 10.1, the experimental value is 5.39172. By reporting 5.40390 in Table 10.1 instead of the 5.4090 present in Mills equation (10.25), Mills was able to reduce the relative error he reports in Table 10.1 from 0.00319 to 0.00225.
According to both optiongeek and markie (and who could doubt either of them?), Mills equation (10.25) is correct, which means the calculated value reported by Mills in Table 10.1 is wrong, as is the relative error in his calculation.
Is anyone really surprised that Mills made this mistake in a direction that reduced the relative error he reported in Table 10.1?
Optiongeek did not miss a 3. It was Clinger who made the error and put in a 3 when it shouldn't be there.
I apologize for failing to spot Mills's error. I thank you and optiongeek for bringing Mills's error to our attention.
Funny, I got no impression at all that optiongeek was trying to 'impress us', no more than I thought Mills was trying to impress us by retaining the sin(theta)^2 and cos(theta)^2 terms. Optiongeek simply confirmed that the triple integral was performed correctly, because (as I recall) you seemed to have a problem with the magnetic term result and were implying that Mills was just making it up.
Although markie claims to recall a problem I had "with the magnetic term result", I recall no such problem. I am absolutely certain I had not claimed any problem with the particular piece of the energy calculated by equation (10.156). In light of those facts, I remain convinced that optiongeek cited that equation simply because he was impressed that Mills had simplified the triple integral correctly, and thought we would be as impressed as he was by Mills's ability to get the right answer for a very simple exercise in freshman calculus.
Just as markie continues to think we are impressed by his repeated denials of interferometry, and by his ignorance of single-photon versions of the double slit experiment, and by his suggestion that we ask a competent physicist whether the shell theorem applies to a situation in which the shell theorem obviously applies.
(Several competent physicists have already replied to that nonsense, for which I thank them.)
Last edited: