• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Cont: Breaking: Mueller Grand Jury charges filed, arrests as soon as Monday pt 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
They covered it up. How does that not say, of course they knew it was illegal, or at least probably illegal?

And even though Trump brought in all sorts of incompetent idiots, there were at least a few people in that campaign that were politicians. You can't convince me Sessions did not know the Trump Tower meeting crossed the line.
 
They covered it up. How does that not say, of course they knew it was illegal, or at least probably illegal?

And even though Trump brought in all sorts of incompetent idiots, there were at least a few people in that campaign that were politicians. You can't convince me Sessions did not know the Trump Tower meeting crossed the line.

That's post hoc. I was suggesting that when Don Jr wrote the email, he may not have known it was illegal but Manafort had to know it was illegal and he almost certainly told them before the meeting. In all fairness to Sessions, he wasn't in that meeting.
 
Last edited:
This whole conversation annoys me. I can't make up my mind whether these Trump defenders actually believe this wasn't a crime or that they know it was and just don't care. That they keep hearing these absurd commentaries on Hannity and Fox and Friends and are now just convinced and nothing can get them off this entrenched position.
 
No, we speculate that its a conspiracy because that is where the preponderance of evidence is pointing.

100% THIS!

It is conspiracy theorists who try to treat open forums like this one as some sort of Court of Law where they position themselves as the defence and try to poke holes in the prosecution case as they argue to the "Beyond Reasonable Doubt" standard.

The rest of us, well, at least most skeptics I know, debate on a "Balance of Probabilities" burden of proof, i.e., more likely or less likely.
 
I'm a little surprised that is your position. Anyway, we might see if that's a crime. Or maybe not, since there might be other issues



All I’m really trying to say is that we, the denizens of this little corner of the internet, can only speculate as to whether or not any of what happened there is crime. We simply don’t have enough information to make the kinds of declarative and affirmative statements that are being made here.

I’d like to understand the issues better but I can see that this probably isn’t the place to do it. Which is a shame, really.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
We simply don’t have enough information to make the kinds of declarative and affirmative statements that are being made here.


“I want to caution you, the people who speculate about federal investigations usually don’t know all of the relevant facts. We do not try cases on television or in congressional hearings. We follow the rule of law, which means that we follow procedures, and we reserve judgment. We complete our investigations and evaluate all of the evidence before we reach any conclusion.”
-- Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein (July 13, 2018)
 
Last edited:
To those who are still confused about the election law here, note that "solicitation" is included in the elements leading to criminality. From my understanding of the common useage of the term, solicitation does not imply receipt of the quo after the quid. It means in essence to "endeavor" to receive. Meeting to receive information, even if the transaction is not completed, is solicitation. And even if the *other* party instigated the arrangement. A willingness to enter into an arrangement that is facilitated by any action to further that arrangement along is conspiracy.

Meeting those Russians in Trump Tower, knowing foreign actors were offering info and after communicating eagerness to get it, cannot be handwaved away as engaging in "speech". The *intent* is just about as clear as can be, which don Jr's email exchanges by themselves make incontrovertible. And *intent* is a crucial element in assessing criminality. The proffer was of dirt, which Don "loved"; that's what he sought at the meeting. Even if no dirt was provided, the crime of conspiracy was already committed.
 
Robbing a bank is clearly a crime. Conspiracy to rob a bank is therefore also a crime. Accepting information from a foreign national is not clearly a crime, though it may turn out to be. If it turns out not to be a crime, then there can't be an illegal conspiracy.

Yes, there can be, IF those involved committed crimes in the process of covering it up. This is precisely what happened to Bill Clinton.

Porking a White House intern isn't a crime, but covering it up by lying to the Grand Jury, to Congress and to Federal investigators is. So are witness tampering and obstruction of justice

In this instance, there is no nuance. Donnie's email (or was it a text?) said all that is necessary. Combined with the meeting at Trump Tower he committed conspiracy. And then he and Jared followed it up by lying to Congress another felony, and if Trump encouraged them to lie, thats obstruction.

Yep, this!
 
100% THIS!

It is conspiracy theorists who try to treat open forums like this one as some sort of Court of Law where they position themselves as the defence and try to poke holes in the prosecution case as they argue to the "Beyond Reasonable Doubt" standard.

The rest of us, well, at least most skeptics I know, debate on a "Balance of Probabilities" burden of proof, i.e., more likely or less likely.

But here's the thing smartcooky. This isn't a court of law and civil courts in the US require only a preponderance of evidence which means more likely than not. I think that bar has been easily cleared.

Now the question is there enough to meet the criminal standard which is 'beyond a reasonable doubt'? Reasonable doubt does not mean beyond a shadow of a doubt. It means just what it says. Is the doubt reasonable? Unfortunately, no one can really define this for a juror.

But I don't think the Trump defenders today are arguing the level of doubt. No, they are now desperately trying to say these acts weren't crimes. But that isn't really a question for the jury, that is a question of law.

Me, I have ZERO doubt that Manafort, Kushner and Don Jr are guilty of conspiracy. I have a small amount of doubt that Trump is not guilty of conspiracy. Given Trump's teaser speech and that he wrote the false statement for Don Jr, it seems very much that my doubt is unreasonable.
 
Last edited:
That's the open question that hasn't been cleared up, though. Plus, it really makes no sense: why can you hire a foreign national for dirt but you can't get it for free? I'm assuming that it's because it would be considered a contribution from a foreign national but as I've pointed out and cited in support, that is not at all clear. Such a prosecution would be unprecedented.

The precedent for a political party being offered political dirt on their opponent by a foreign Government and not instantly rejecting the notion is to our knowledge unprecedented. However, people have been prosecuted for receiving and helping foreign nationals give money to a political Campaign before, in particular Bill Clinton's Campaign had money funneled to it via a Chinese American who was getting fund sent to him from China. As a result the campaign had to refund the money and several people involved in knowingly funneling the money ended up with convictions.

Now at this point I guess we need to decide is "Information" is "anything of value"?

While there are many arguments about how much and even if Information should be valued, I would suggest that in the end it comes down to this, is this information something that campaigns would generally expect to pay, and in fact do pay for. There is a whole mathematical theory devoted to showing this that you can go through if you want, though it made my brain hurt.

Based on that simple definition, I think that few people would really argue that "Political Dirt" is in fact information that has zero value to a campaign, and as such any offer becomes an offer of "anything of value" which is explicitly disallowed by law for foreign nationals to offer to give, or for campaigns to solicit.

as a result, IMO, and I hazard the opinions of a number of others I have seen, including lawyers, making the offer of information is an illegal action, thus in accepting and setting up a meeting, those involved were clearly furthering that illegal action.

Here is where you are going beyond the evidence made public thus far: that there was a conspiracy between Trump and Russia to hack the emails. I understand where people are inferring that such happened but there is no direct evidence that it happened.

You seem to totally misunderstand my statement here, I'll assume that this was not deliberate and re-explain it for you. It had nothing to do with Clinton's nor the DNC emails, but rather the email exchange between Jr and Rob Goldstone.

Goldstone made it quite clear that the information that he was offering was "very high level and sensitive information but is part of Russia and its government's support for Mr. Trump"

At this point Jr should have backed out and gotten as far from it as possible, but he didn't. He kept going and then set up the meeting. In doing so he creating and then was taking further steps to partake in a Conspiracy.

I'm not so sure about that. If there was a plan to exchange dirt for sanction relief or help in hacking the DNC servers, that's clearly a crime. If there was no such plan? Not so clear.

Again, no need to offer anything back in return. As long as you accept that information that generally would be something that campaign would have paid to get was being offered for free, then a crime was occurring. If the campaign members partook in solicit for that information, then they too directly committed a crime. If they merely took part in attempting to get the information, knowing it's source, then they committed Conspiracy, even if they failed to gain the information that they wanted.

Just to be clear, Solicit here means "to ask, request or recommend, explicitly or implicitly, that another person make a contribution, donation, transfer of funds or otherwise provide anything of value. A solicitation is an oral or written communication that, construed as reasonably understood in the context in which it is made, contains a clear message asking, requesting or recommending that a person make a contribution, donation, transfer of funds or otherwise provide anything of value. A solicitation may be made directly or indirectly."

Now let's be quite clear here, from the emails between Jr and Goldstone, I have no beliefs to the Trump Campaign soliciting the material at this point. That may have occurred later, and one could certainly suggest that Trump did so in asking Russia to find Hillary's emails, but that's not really here nor there as far as the meeting goes, in that there was only the criminal action of a conspiracy to have a foreign national contributing a thing of value to the campaign.

That's a declarative statement. But it's subject is a matter of question. I totally agree that the Trump campaign shouldn't have touched this but there are reasons beyond legality as well. It's really bad optics even if it isn't illegal.

Yes it is, and I think I have shown why. Personally I don't even think that the Meeting was the worst issue in this whole saga, assuming a conviction, it's a slap on the wrist of a fine and likely probation for those involved. The lies to the FEC and Congress over it were worse.

To me I think that far more interesting ball of yarn is that whole change in direction of the Trump Campaign, including millions of dollars in advertising and trips being cancelled in what were assumed to be battleground states, and diverted to what were seen as blue states just a week after the Russians stole the DNC's analytics and gameplay book at the end of September 2016.

Again, that's extrapolating beyond publicly available evidence.

Not at all, and I have explained why.

Robbing a bank is clearly a crime. Conspiracy to rob a bank is therefore also a crime. Accepting information from a foreign national is not clearly a crime, though it may turn out to be. If it turns out not to be a crime, then there can't be an illegal conspiracy.

It hinges on if Information can be defined as something of value, and I believe that yes, it not only can, but it is something with a value to it.
 
Last edited:
That's post hoc. I was suggesting that when Don Jr wrote the email, he may not have known it was illegal but Manafort had to know it was illegal and he almost certainly told them before the meeting. In all fairness to Sessions, he wasn't in that meeting.

I can agree with that timeline. I don't think on their own either Donnie Sr or Jr had a clue getting intel from the Russians was illegal.
 
But here's the thing smartcooky. This isn't a court of law and civil courts in the US require only a preponderance of evidence which means more likely than not. I think that bar has been easily cleared.

Now the question is there enough to meet the criminal standard which is 'beyond a reasonable doubt'? Reasonable doubt does not mean beyond a shadow of a doubt. It means just what it says. Is the doubt reasonable? Unfortunately, no one can really define this for a juror.

But I don't think the Trump defenders today are arguing the level of doubt. No, they are now desperately trying to say these acts weren't crimes. But that isn't really a question for the jury, that is a question of law.

Me, I have ZERO doubt that Manafort, Kushner and Don Jr are guilty of conspiracy. I have a small amount of doubt that Trump is not guilty of conspiracy. Given Trump's teaser speech and that he wrote the false statement for Don Jr, it seems very much that my doubt is unreasonable.

If we get to choose standards, I have been an advocate of even higher standards for situations like these.
 
I can agree with that timeline. I don't think on their own either Donnie Sr or Jr had a clue getting intel from the Russians was illegal.

This is problematic in it's own way.

I could purchase a grocery store and then proceed to break a ton of rules because I have no idea what I'm doing. But recklessly jumping into an activity without regards to the conduct of that activity is really dumb
 
This is problematic in it's own way.

I could purchase a grocery store and then proceed to break a ton of rules because I have no idea what I'm doing. But recklessly jumping into an activity without regards to the conduct of that activity is really dumb
You lost me here.

Do I think Jr and the others who went to the meeting were a dumb as doorknobs? Yes, I do. Do you think I said something different than that?
 
You lost me here.

Do I think Jr and the others who went to the meeting were a dumb as doorknobs? Yes, I do. Do you think I said something different than that?

I thought it would be interesting to discuss the broader issues of being a novice in politics. People wouldn't let someone who decided to be a doctor six months ago operate on them, but six months ago deciding to jump into political office is seen as a plus.

ETA: I was trying to draw out this notion you sometimes see as "ignorance of the law is no excuse." That is too narrow of a view. Ignorance of the law in the field you are jumping into is an act of endangerment.
 
Last edited:
I thought it would be interesting to discuss the broader issues of being a novice in politics. People wouldn't let someone who decided to be a doctor six months ago operate on them, but six months ago deciding to jump into political office is seen as a plus.
Not by me.

ETA: I was trying to draw out this notion you sometimes see as "ignorance of the law is no excuse." That is too narrow of a view. Ignorance of the law in the field you are jumping into is an act of endangerment.
Still not following you here, but I prefer the new Bob to the old one.

Trump is a danger to the country, he's mucking up everything and 'his base' has no clue of the long term damage that is being done.
 
This is problematic in it's own way.

I could purchase a grocery store and then proceed to break a ton of rules because I have no idea what I'm doing. But recklessly jumping into an activity without regards to the conduct of that activity is really dumb

And, assuming that the ton of rules you were breaking were like city ordinances, the City inspectors wouldn't hesitate to shut you down and fine you behind till it hurt. Likewise, if they were tax rules, then the IRS would fine you, Employment Law could get you fined or even taken to court. No one would give a stuff that you didn't know what you were doing, it'd be expected that if you plan to open a business that you learn the appropriate laws prior to doing so, and if you don't so be it.

This is while I give no passage to the Trump campaign in this matter. The excuse of "I didn't know it wasn't legal" doesn't ring because they should have learned the law on running a campaign and who can contribute to it and how they can do so before they started it. If they failed to do so, then any breaches of the Law are on their own heads.
 
Not by me.

I believe he means by trumpkins

Still not following you here, but I prefer the new Bob to the old one.

Trump is a danger to the country, he's mucking up everything and 'his base' has no clue of the long term damage that is being done.

I believe that he's meaning that if you decide to take part in an action, regardless of what that is, running for office, opening a bar or store, climbing a mountain, then you should actually go and find out the laws about what you will be doing, you can't just go and do it and then claim ignorance, that not learning the laws about what you want to do before you do it is not just bad because you could end up breaking the law, but because you are likely to actually endanger people by not knowing the laws set out to protect others from people doing the activity you want to do.

I'm sure he'll correct if I got that wrong.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom