• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Elizabeth Warren refuses to take DNA test

I would find it very unlikely that Ancestry.com, which has largely US based data, would not have quite a bit of Native American genetic identifiers.
Doesn't that depend on the research already been done? Are there any such databases?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
 
tenor.gif
 
[qimg]https://media1.tenor.com/images/4ec9a7eaa1922df78f9cc67211cad701/tenor.gif?itemid=5547528[/qimg]
For whatever its worth, my point is that only partisans care and only for partisan reasons. This is one of many such "scandals"

Binder's full of Women, Guns and Bibles, 49% percent of voters, basket of deplorables, dogs on vacation, lipstick on a pig, ..........
 
I would find it very unlikely that Ancestry.com, which has largely US based data, would not have quite a bit of Native American genetic identifiers.
You missed what I said. They may have lots of Native Americans who have given them DNA. What they don't have (or didn't because they may be shifting) are researchers.

Their data base of alleles and markers came from other sources. Researchers have only recently begun studying the genetic pathway of Native American migration and relationships. So the genome data is not in Ancestry or 23 and Me's data bases yet.
 
In my case, my immigrant German great-grandparents spoke German and were originally German citizens. However, my DNA showed Scandinavian rather than German ancestry because they were from Schleswig-Holstein, an area of Germany that had been Danish until 1864 and they were actually of Danish descent. If your ancestors were from Schleswig-Holstein, this could explain your brother's results.
Or not. He was supposedly 95% Western European, no Scandinavian.
 
If she wanted to, she could quite easily, on the quiet, do one of those Ancestry.com DNA tests (or one of the many other publicly available DNA tests. She could get a trusted friend to submit it under their own name. No-one would ever know, and it would give her a heads up on whether her anecdotal story about her heritage is truth or fantasy before she decided how to proceed.

Maybe she's already done it.
 
This is a case where a difference in scale is a difference in kind. The calling out Warren on a silly likely falsehood that would normally get ignored if it were a guy on their side, that's just typical politics.

Maybe but that doesn't mean we shouldn't talk about the bias.
 
It's probably off topic, but actually they can't tell you what part of Europe our ancestors came from. If you submit samples to different companies, you get different results, and if you submit three samples to the same company year after year, you can get different results every year. The science isn't ready yet.

I'm starting to consider them a category of healthfraud, IMO. Depends on the claim: if it's just for entertainment value, then no fraud. If it's medical diagnosis, then fraud. And the grey area is ancestry analysis: I would say it's fraud if the company claims it's scientifically valid analysis. At this point, we don't have enough information to give reliable geographic/ethnic ancestry breakdowns.

I think sciency people like skeptics have a blindspot for these because they're so techy.

gizmodo article: [How DNA Testing Botched My Family's Heritage, and Probably Yours]
Thanks for that informative link.
 
Why the need for a DNA test? Good Republicans can tell if someone has native american ancestry just by looking at them!


 
All this sounds remarkably petty. It's not like Elizabeth Warren is going to be the only person in the USA who has some long-distant Native American ancestry...or not.

I myself have a proven descent from Pocahontas, daughter of Powhatan. This is no joke, and it's not via DNA research either. We have the fully researched family tree confirmed, going back about 10 generations.

The point is that I am very likely one of hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of similar descendants world-wide who can make the same claim. I harbour no hope that I can reclaim any of Virginia territory as my ancestral land either, nor even just get a green card for employment in the USA, on the strength of this.

Similarly, Warren has not used this to her advantage, as far as we know. She has simply mentioned it. The only person trying to make hay out of this is Donny with his puerile insults. Because it plays well with his racist base.
 
I really, really don't buy this claiming 'x single digit percentage part of me' ancestry.

Unless you have a very recent ancestor (parent or grandparent) I just cannot take this seriously.
 
I really, really don't buy this claiming 'x single digit percentage part of me' ancestry.

Unless you have a very recent ancestor (parent or grandparent) I just cannot take this seriously.

I am 1/1605844th part Bedrockian, being a direct descendant of Fred Flintstone. And I have a quipping pterodactyl DNA testing machine or something to prove it.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom