• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

California mandates pet stores adopt rescues

I want to be able to purchase genetically superior and rarer breeds of animals because mixed mutts are beneath consideration.

Also, pit bulls should be genocided.

Get a grip dude. Genetic purity leads to hemophilia, insanity, ugly babies and the crime against nature that is the British Royal Family.
 
I don't know of one adult in my circle that has brought home a cat or dog from a pet store - everybody I know goes to either the humane society or pet rescue groups or professional breeders - as in folks who breed show winning dogs or cats.
 
California - killing itself one regulation at a time.

Hey Cali, howzabout we make it illegal for cat owners to let their animals crap and kill birds in my garden? I'm sure a lot more people would be behind that one - if you actually asked anyone that is.

Ask us about the Sanctuary State thing too. You may actually find one or two people who think it's a fine idea! Idiots.
 
God no. Please look at proper sources of information, not TV comedians/truth-tellers/propagandists.

It's not an either/or proposition. You can look at tv shows, and if piqued by something, then research it further. It doesn't have to be mutually exclusive.
 
Attempted Sarcasm

If you didn't like it I call it a win!

Last person I knew that got a dog from a "breeder" got a puppy with so many ticks on it that they immediately had to take it to a vet.
 
If you didn't like it I call it a win!

Last person I knew that got a dog from a "breeder" got a puppy with so many ticks on it that they immediately had to take it to a vet.

Just to be contrary...it can be really difficult to prevent or remove fleas or ticks from a litter of puppies.

Most of the medications can't be applied until they're about 8 weeks old.

They chew flea collars off of each other, so there's nothing but bits scattered round even just a few hours of putting them on.

Some of the shampoos are good for getting rid of them, but the chemicals wash right off in the rinse so it doesn't protect them.

The only real way to prevent them is try to keep the whole house (assuming the dogs are indoors) bug proof, which is hard to do even without dogs. If someone -anyone- gets too far behind the curve, the costs for extermination can be astronomical.

Sometimes I think the term "reputable breeders" is just used as a synonym for "wealthy breeders". Those who are making their living breeding dogs and forced to keep the expenses low are dumped into the "backyard breeders" column, regardless of how conscientious they are about providing the best care possible under the circumstances.
 
Fleas are a difficult issue for sure, but things like Program will address it. I can't imagine how a litter of young puppies can possibly be picking up ticks.

There's a twitter hashtag going the rounds, #wheresmum. It means, if you're buying a puppy (or kitten) you need to see the litter in its home environment while it's still with the mother, so you can assess the conditions the animals are being reared in and also the temperament and disposition of the mother.
 
If you didn't like it I call it a win!

Last person I knew that got a dog from a "breeder" got a puppy with so many ticks on it that they immediately had to take it to a vet.

Odd, we've gotten 2 dogs from breeders - one that lived 4 years longer than normal for the breed and one that is alive and well at 15. We also saved 5 street dogs when we lived in Mexico, 3 that were placed in homes in the US and 2 that we kept.

Anecdotes for the win!
 
Fleas are a difficult issue for sure, but things like Program will address it. I can't imagine how a litter of young puppies can possibly be picking up ticks.

There's a twitter hashtag going the rounds, #wheresmum. It means, if you're buying a puppy (or kitten) you need to see the litter in its home environment while it's still with the mother, so you can assess the conditions the animals are being reared in and also the temperament and disposition of the mother.

In some areas out here where I live, ticks are a constant battle. I've been in homes that are just overrun; even without pets. The are so thick that even after a short walk through the brush you can find a few on your clothes, and very likely at least one latched on.

Thankfully, right here where I am has relatively "normal" concentrations of them, but I've seen families struggle to keep their kids tick free, let alone the dogs.

The county sprays for mosquitos every year now, and I almost think that might be helping to keep the tick population down, because as I type this I realize it's been a few years since I've seen anyone really infested.
 
There's a twitter hashtag going the rounds, #wheresmum. It means, if you're buying a puppy (or kitten) you need to see the litter in its home environment while it's still with the mother, so you can assess the conditions the animals are being reared in and also the temperament and disposition of the mother.

This is a perfectly reasonable approach, which clearly has no place in this thread of knee-jerk, breeders-are-evil-but-I-can't-be-bothered-to-investigate-the-issue-and-examine-it-critically comments.
 
I saw Jori's mum, briefly, when I first visited the breeder when he was nine weeks old. She was shy though and we didn't interact. She had three babies to look after of course. I did see the household, and the other cats, and petted Jori himself. I also saw dad, who was a real charmer of a tomcat, outside in a run with a couple of neutered companions.

I first saw Caramel when he was 24 hours old, when my singing teacher took me into the kitchen and said, "look what we've got here!" I immediately started angling for the marmalade one. I watched him and his brother and sister grow up over the next 13 weeks, and even supplied flea and worming treatment and gave the kittens their first vaccination.

But the best cat of all was brought into my surgery one evening to be put down.
 
In some areas out here where I live, ticks are a constant battle. I've been in homes that are just overrun; even without pets. The are so thick that even after a short walk through the brush you can find a few on your clothes, and very likely at least one latched on.

Thankfully, right here where I am has relatively "normal" concentrations of them, but I've seen families struggle to keep their kids tick free, let alone the dogs.

The county sprays for mosquitos every year now, and I almost think that might be helping to keep the tick population down, because as I type this I realize it's been a few years since I've seen anyone really infested.


That's amazing. No wonder there's been so much Lyme disease in some areas of the USA. Really, we only see ticks in penny numbers.
 
I want to be able to purchase genetically superior and rarer breeds of animals because mixed mutts are beneath consideration.

Also, pit bulls should be genocided.
I had an experience walking my dog a few months ago that might explain this post in part. I crossed paths with an older gentleman at the park who was walking his dogs. We had crossed paths before and our dogs played. A brief conversation ensued:

Him: I used to breed pit bulls. The breed has been ruined.
Me: How so?
Him: *******. [the N word]
 
I'm assuming you're parodying yourself for our mutual amusement, here?

I would like to think so, but somehow can't convince myself. It is interesting because the genetic disorders of "pure-bred" dogs are among the strongest arguments against human racial segregation from a purely scientific viewpoint.
 
Last edited:
I would like to think so, but somehow can't convince myself. It is interesting because the genetic disorders of "pure-bred" dogs are among the strongest arguments against human racial segregation from a purely scientific viewpoint.

One of the fundamental flaws in white supremacy and eugenics is the belief that survival of the fittest involves an interpretation of what is fit based on current conditions being both a constant and some sort of ideal. This leaves them room for believing that there is a direction to evolution.

Tends to get a bit mucked up when conditions change and their aesthetic idealism suddenly becomes a burden. Suddenly the fittest ends up less pleasing to their subjective eye.
 
This is a nice idea, but it doesn't go far enough if you are serious about animal rights.

Pet stores should be banned from selling live animals entirely. All pets should come from rescue centers and they should all be neutered before being adopted out.
:boxedin:

I'm on board with the sentiment... but... if all the pets are only allowed to be acquired from rescues, and they're all required to be sterilized... we're going to run out of pets in a relatively short period of time...
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom