Can you name the person and post that did this, then?
Well I've spent several posts trying to convince someone that said all of Muslim society is at war with non-Muslim society for example.
Why? You said repeatedly people chose to justify their terrorist desires with holy texts. Now you require a terrorist group to go alongside as well? That's moving the goalposts.
No I have said repeatedly that there is a complex mish mash of factors which influence things and no one magic bullet. The above seems a bit dishonest in the light of that.
Its pretty clear that in order to take action A you must have a desire to do it and an outlet to make that happen. Social factors are important - if you don't know anybody that also does A, have never seen anyone do A and have never heard of anyone doing A then you aren't likely to do it. Psychology matters. 'People like me don't do A' is a very important driver for behaviour. As is 'people like me do A'.
After you're done explaining that, can you also explain why Islamic terrorist groups are so prolific while those belonging to other religions are rather rare? Try to do it without hand-waving and wild speculation please, something that will stand the snicker tests at least.
Well I would think at the root of things the reason for it would be a lot to do with the fact that the Middle East has been a warzone for decades in which terrorism and insurgency have become commonplace.
I think the religious aspect probably influences the way it is carried out - i.e. I'm not sure atheists would be as willing to be suicide bombers - but I don't think it particularly drives the move towards terrorism.
We are also talking about a particular snapshot in time where Islamic terrorism is dominating because by and large they are predominantly the ones with a cause currently and because of the situation in the Middle East currently. Most other conflicts are between states and therefore not terrorism by default.
Again, I don't think there was anything inherent to Irishness or even Irish Nationalism that made them terrorists in the 80s. It was the tactic they chose to employ because they thought it would be effective. Had they been Welsh instead and all other things being equal I think we would probably have been talking about the WRA.
UK had a nationalist conflict in northern Ireland, where some Irish people living there wanted their land to belong to the Republic of Ireland instead. There is no doubt strong nationalist beliefs can cause one to resort to terrorism. It has nothing to do with being Irish at all, the same thing could, did and does happen to just about every other nationality in a broadly similar situation (Austrians in South Tyrol, Brittany nationalists, Corsicans, Basques, ...).
And yet there are plenty of nationalist movements that dont resort to terrorism. It was the Irish specifically that did in this case.
However Muslims in Britain are not engaged in any sort of nationalist conflict. There is no violent movement to either declare a portion of UK independent or a part of another state and that portion of UK just happens to be populated mainly by Muslims at this time. No, an overwhelming majority of Muslims living in UK are content to remain a part of the UK (or at least Scotland). They are no different from their non-Muslim neighbors in that regard. Yet they produce terrorists at a rate that overwhelms any other demographic. Can you explain why?
This was explained to you before and yet you ignore it.
McHrozni
I haven't ignored it I have repeatedly explained it. You just don't like the answer because you don't agree with it.
Maybe, but you need to expand this. They overwhelmingly choose Islam. Explain why. If it's organizations explain why Islamist terrorist organizations are so prolific compared to those of other religions, if it's something else explain that.
Good luck!
McHrozni
I just did explain it.
This. I've told Archie this ... ugh ... ten times maybe?
Neither he nor anyone else ever came up with an explanation. A lot of hand-waving and dismissals, but nothing with any substance whatsoever.
McHrozni
There have been umpteen explanations which you ignore or dismiss out of hand with goalpost moving or spurious counters. You might disagree with the response but that doesn't mean it hasn't been given.
Oh and from I see in your quote the post you agree with is littered with nonsense like 'Muslims disproproportionately resort to violence' when what they really mean is Muslims disproportionately resort to Islamic terrorism which is merely a tautology.
Did you know that Scots disproprotionately feature amongst Scottish Nationalists too? And Irish amongst Irish Republican terrorism?
Well gee, I wonder why that is.
I suggested why this is. Do you have a better answer?
A necessary approach when your Word of God looks like this:
Koran, 2:143 Thus We have appointed you a middle nation, that ye may be witnesses against mankind, and that the messenger may be a witness against you. And We appointed the qiblah which ye formerly observed only that We might know him who followeth the messenger, from him who turneth on his heels. In truth it was a hard (test) save for those whom Allah guided. But it was not Allah's purpose that your faith should be in vain, for Allah is Full of Pity, Merciful toward mankind.
Most wannabe killers don't have the stamina to put up with all the word salads in the said texts.
McHrozni
SEE!! It's bloody incoherent! And you are the one who keeps harping on about the most straightforward interpretation and what the text says. It says nothing. The above is meaningless nonsense. There is no interpretation of that which makes sense or is obvious unless you come to it with preconceived notions.
It says Allah is merciful therefore we should show mercy and kindness to others.
It says appointed a middle nation therefore we must have our own country just for us
It says my faith should not be in vain so I must devote my life to spreading Islam and killing non-believers.
It's all utter *********. It all is.