Yes, this is why I would use GedMatch. Your brother should download the raw data from Ancestry, and have a play around on there. Mind you, how much different is German DNA from British? Saxons, Angles and Jutes invaded Britain, Franks invaded France. In many cases these Germanic invasions/ settlements were on top of pre-existing Celtic populations, many of them with long lasting input from the 'Romans'. North western Europe is very similar. Germans, French, Dutch, English. And then the English have been messing about in Scotland, Wales and Ireland for some time. Many of them of Norman descent. You can see where this ends up! A mess.
Thanks- I did not know of this type of site and it seems a lot less simplistic than 23&ME. As I've said, it can be a lot of fun in terms of thinking about the twists and turns in one's ancestry. I think mine is probably mostly boring- dominated by Eastern European Ashkenazi serfs growing potatoes for many generations with a few travelers or other outsiders thrown in every once in a while. Maybe someone interesting among them? I understand the Vikings, surprise, ran large markets in Eastern Europe (actually mostly slave markets)- Maybe they "met" my family back then. I think it would be exciting to "have Viking blood." I would love to pillage and sack the neighboring offices at work.
Who knows- maybe sometime I might try an analysis.