• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more
Leaks have made it clear that Trump decided to fire Comey because he refused to be Trump's lackey. And that version makes way more sense.
Thanks for filling me in. I'm not about to argue his true motives. I don't understand Trump well enough that I can judge what makes sense or not, so I won't guess.

I still think the multiple contradictory stories are part of his Teflon. When he starts giving a single version of things, then I'll believe he's in trouble.
 
But that's what I don't get. He has NEVER appeared to me to be a straight shooter. In fact his non stop exaggeration comes off to me as a flashing warning sign that this guy is full of crap.
He reminds me of the Pointy-Haired Boss from Dilbert.

In this case, he saw someone getting credit for one of his decisions and had to butt in to insist that HE was the decider, it was HIM and his brilliance and no one told HIM what to do.

The vast majority of people lack the time and inclination to form an informed opinion about politics and tend only to consume media from their own camp except for snippets of opposing opinion selected by their own side to mock. Trump has discovered a new way to game this system.
It's what I called the "moldy sandwich effect." 80% of the voting public will vote for a moldy sandwich if it has the appropriate (R) or (D) after its name. Elections are only really decided by the 20% in the middle.

But in this case, in addition to the 40% who'd vote for him if he were literally Hitler, he received an additional 9% of the vote, and it's that that people find confusing.
 
What I find stunning is that Trump is proving to be such a inept liar as President.. At one time we was actually a pretty good con man, but since taking office his skills as a con man are vanishing.
In those days he had the benefit of simple scripts and post-production. As a live act with no prompter he ain't so great.
 
My take: Trump fired Comey because Trump got more and more upset by the news cycle focusing on the investigation. It was impulsive, not some strategic plan to stop the investigation. That is reflected in the shifting reasons for the firing.

You can expect that story to keep on shifting as Trump makes up more stories to address the holes in the previous ones.

I speculate that in Trump's mind, he believes he can make the investigation go away. But that doesn't translate into a plan. It translates into an impulse. The insistence he's not under investigation, the minions going around repeating the talking point, it's been investigated, nothing there, time to move on, are in Trump's mind going to make it go away because Trump wishes it so.

Denial works like that until the next crisis where it's in Trump's face again. Queue the next impulsive behavior disaster.
 
It is very obvious that Trump is a liar.

People that fell for his con job are dumb.
It doesn't seem likely to me that stupidity in the US maps quite so well to population density and state. I'm not clear to what extent people "fell for him". That seems like a complicated and interesting question. My instinct is that most voters are relatively partisan, ill informed and easy to fool.
 
What I find stunning is that Trump is proving to be such a inept liar as President.. At one time we was actually a pretty good con man, but since taking office his skills as a con man are vanishing.


I think the difference is that now he has so many more people parsing his every sentence, catching every lie, big and small. And like most folks, the "quality" of his lies suffers under pressure.
 
It doesn't seem likely to me that stupidity in the US maps quite so well to population density and state. I'm not clear to what extent people "fell for him". That seems like a complicated and interesting question. My instinct is that most voters are relatively partisan, ill informed and easy to fool.

The smarter people tend to move away from the areas that heavily supported Trump.
 
But in this case, in addition to the 40% who'd vote for him if he were literally Hitler, he received an additional 9% of the vote, and it's that that people find confusing.
Maybe they hated Hillary that much and thought Trump would at least be different. I don't know. I doubt anybody who Trump managed to convince to vote for him has an understanding of the world that lines up well with the thinking of angry Democrats.
 
Maybe they hated Hillary that much and thought Trump would at least be different. I don't know. I doubt anybody who Trump managed to convince to vote for him has an understanding of the world that lines up well with the thinking of angry Democrats.

Yeah, they live in a fantasy alternate reality.
 
The Democrat party is loaded with extreme hypocrites who are now caterwauling because Trump did something they called for months ago. If Hillary Clinton had been elected, Republicans would've been totally accepting and understanding of her decision to fire Comey on her first day in office.
 
I don't blame Trump to be upset by this quote. "Nauseous" is the wrong word. Comey meant "nauseated".

Trump, knowing all the best words, must have been infuriated at this common misuse.
Hilarious.
(look ma, no smiley)
 
You can assert that he is a compulsive liar, but that doesn't make it so. Most of the things he lies about do seem to be trivial and stupid.

To me it seems as if he lies about almost everything. And if you think it is trivial and stupid for the President of the United States to accuse a former President of wiretapping his building in New York to be trivial then we have a different definition of trivial.

If Trump isnt what you consider to be a compulsive liar I wonder what you would consider a consider a compulsive liar. The simple fact which I do agree with is that 'most' of what he lies about is trivial. But isn't that the textbook definition of compulsive?

People are tribal and will inevitably rationalise for their own side. Very few people have the time to look into any of this stuff at anything but the most surface level.

I agree. But only to a degree.

Depends on the circumstances. Generally not, but then the circumstances are very different. You seem to be labouring under the mistaken belief that I think Trump is a good, psychologically normal person. I don't think a normal person is likely to make it through the mud you need to wade to to become President. I expect all politicians at that level to lie when it is pragmatic to do so.
I don't believe that for one second. While most politicians do lie occasionally, my experience with people on both sides of the aisle tell the truth although with their spin on it.
Some may stretch the truth on occasion but I have never seen another politician lie like Trump.

In fact I've only met one other person in my life that I find less trustworthy and credible and that was one of my brothers. He would lie, cheat and steal from anyone. He lied about and to women, he lied about his accomplishments. He lied so much and so often that no one in my family would trust him and we would roll our eyes a lot when he started bragging which was often.

To me, Trump is my brother Mickey.

My upbringing wasn't particularly strict, but honestly... if I wanted my children to battle their way to a position like Trump's, I would be raising them very differently and probably wouldn't like them half as much.

Mine was. And I don't think I would say any President in the last 100 years had as weird of upbringing as Trump.

I wouldn't describe either Bush, Obama, Reagan, Clinton, Carter, LBJ, Eisenhower, FDR or Truman is remotely comparable. I may have diliked and disagreed with some of their policies, I never thought any of them were bad human beings.

I think Trump is genuinely a horrible human being. Totally devoid of character.
 
I wish I could find it, but I saw something a month or so ago that said something like

In a just world, Trump would be selling used Hyundais in an empty lot and Gannon would be out front dressed in a weiner costume, spending his lunch breaks masturbating in the bathroom in the Arbys across the street.

Totally off topic. But Trump is kind of like the main character played by Kurt Russell in the movie Used Cars but not as likable. Funny as hell and one of my favorites. Check it out.
 
As much as I despise Trump,he has a point that the Dems are being hypocrites on the issue of Comey. Of course, so is the GOP...

Fact is, Comey had pretty much managed to alienate the leadership of Both Parties with his conduct.

I see no hypocrisy.

Some Democrats thought Comey should be fired. It doesn't follow that he should be fired in order to slow an investigation involving the administration.

In exactly the same way, a person might deserve to be locked up for a crime, but it's not right to lock him up in order to get off with his missus.

It's just not hypocrisy.

For that matter, it's not hypocrisy on the GOP side (by much). Many Republicans liked the October surprise, but loathed the July press conference. Now, of course, the Deputy AG's memo mentioned both, but those who support the firing can point to the July incident as reason enough.

Or, like Trump, you could just say Comey was a showboater and his performance atrocious and leave it at that. Beats reasoning.
 
Nice little summary of the circus going on in the White House.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/05/11/politics/24-hours-of-craziness/index.html

I love the closing paragraph:

But the day had one more touch of farce to come. It emerged that that actor, singer and wrestler known as "The Rock" was giving thought to running for president.

"I think that it's a real possibility," he told GQ, but almost no one noticed because the prospect of President The Rock was only about the 25th most surreal political thing that had happened of the previous 24 hours.
 
The vast majority of people lack the time and inclination to form an informed opinion about politics and tend only to consume media from their own camp except for snippets of opposing opinion selected by their own side to mock. Trump has discovered a new way to game this system.

That isn't a good thing.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom