I delay the answer to this because the question is complex.
First I think that I have to mention a context datum.
In 2016 Italy has sunk to the 77° place in freedom of press ranking.
The picture of mainstream media in Italy is now basically catastrophic.
To make an example: a huge trial taking place in Rome has just ended three days ago. It was a trial against a number of South American militaries and government officers who committed atrocities, they killed tortured and made people disappear during the "Condor Operation", an international action notoriously organized by Kissinger, Nixon and the CIA.
The defendants were from Bolivia, Uruguay, Argentina, Chile. The trial was about the murder of 23 Italian citizens.
The trial ended, 9 defendants were convicted (the masterminds) while 19 were acquitted (the executors), despire crushing evidence, and despite they even admitted and claimed their actions. The reasons why executors were acquitted is not the object of my point (anyway, acquitttals are the scandal of Italian justice system, not wrongful convictions).
The trial is anyway important because - contrarily to LJ's theories - the Italian justice system places a lot of importance on "judicial truth", which is seen as historic achievement. The trial acknowledges the "Condor Operation" as an organized crime and its masterminds.
My point is about the media. Did the Italian television talk about the trial and its conclusion? No. What did they say? Nothing.
The television did not say a word about the Rome trial.
Yet, the consuls of South American countries were there and they cheered to the convictions.
The Italian mainstream television did not report about this international event. The main newspapers reported a page. But they had not reported anything about the trial.
This is the context I am talking from.
I don't know if you underdstaand Italian, I link you this video: Marco Gregoretti is a Journalist who used to write on Il Corriere della Sera & Il Messaggero. In this video he reads snippets of the 2015 Meredith Kercher verdict. His point is basically "why journalist don't report about it?" and says "by reading I can understand why nobody wants to talk about this". By the end what he says "you journalists are cowards", "we put on our gag ourselves", "everybody has a job, everybody has a family".
Journalists don't like to talk about this story. By now at least.
And everybody knows.
To the general publis, the 2015 verdict just says "they are guilty, but they made too many mistakes in the investigation, so we had to release them". This is the common understanding. On a superficial level.
But besides this, and below a first superficial phrase, everyone believes corruption and international maneuver.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NOYOHPtAyM