• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Trump runs for POTUS/ Trumped Up! Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
People have offered to pick up the legal tab. But Burnett is not going to release them. It could easily open him up to lawsuits. I'd bet if he hasn't, he will destroy them.
Someone with access might leak them to the NYT or WaPo though.
 
There is supposedly a $5m fee for breaking the non-disclosure agreement for The Apprentice tapes. I'm sure there are lots of people who would be perfectly happy to cover that if it really has Donald saying the n word or something like that.

Burnett and MGM are in a moebius strip of protecting each other. Burnett's company claims the footage is in their offices but the company is owned by MGM, so Burnett's production company cannot legally release any tape. MGM, in turn, cites unspecified legal agreements as to why THEY cannot release them. It'll turn out, of course, that those agreements are ones they signed with Burnett. This amounts to "I called NO TAKEBACKS".

Burnett is a fundie, but he evidently hates Trump. But he's got a career. He cannot be seen to be facilitating the release of damaging material. Who's going to agree to appear on Celebrity Survivor or Cooking With Has-Beens after such an act?
 
Someone with access might leak them to the NYT or WaPo though.

I'm pretty sure this is about the only hope of seeing them. I think a far better possibility, as I've said, is that someone on the show reports an incident. Hearsay, of course... or anecdotal firsthand evidence, but if it got Burnett or Trump mad enough to go to the mattresses, it could force discovery. But that ain't happening before November 8.
 
Burnett and MGM are in a moebius strip of protecting each other. Burnett's company claims the footage is in their offices but the company is owned by MGM, so Burnett's production company cannot legally release any tape. MGM, in turn, cites unspecified legal agreements as to why THEY cannot release them. It'll turn out, of course, that those agreements are ones they signed with Burnett. This amounts to "I called NO TAKEBACKS".

Burnett is a fundie, but he evidently hates Trump. But he's got a career. He cannot be seen to be facilitating the release of damaging material. Who's going to agree to appear on Celebrity Survivor or Cooking With Has-Beens after such an act?

Burnett may hate Trump, but he made a lot of money with the Apprentice and as the producer could easily be vulnerable and responsible for having a hostile work environment. So I can't imagine that he's all that willing to opening himself up to lawsuits. In case you forgot, Fox News just settled a lawsuit involving Trump's good buddy Roger Ailes for 20 million dollars.
 
Burnett and MGM are in a moebius strip of protecting each other. Burnett's company claims the footage is in their offices but the company is owned by MGM, so Burnett's production company cannot legally release any tape. MGM, in turn, cites unspecified legal agreements as to why THEY cannot release them. It'll turn out, of course, that those agreements are ones they signed with Burnett. This amounts to "I called NO TAKEBACKS".

Burnett is a fundie, but he evidently hates Trump. But he's got a career. He cannot be seen to be facilitating the release of damaging material. Who's going to agree to appear on Celebrity Survivor or Cooking With Has-Beens after such an act?

The conservative support for Trump is interesting.
 
Not to play devil's advocate here ... but.

I know a married couple I consider to be friends; I worked with them both for decades. For whatever reasons, the male part of the couple never made advances on me, but I saw and heard plenty. One woman practically leapt away from him when he touched her leg, then called him from the nearest extension (it was a newsroom; kind of like a cubicle farm without cubicles). Another woman bit his tongue on an elevator to get it out of her mouth. Yet, among colleagues he is considered relatively harmless; no one has brought charges or sued him.

So I actually am less inclined than some here to dismiss Donald as a predator - I am sure he has rationalized himself past such an unflattering portrayal. And yet: The past 48-72 hours have cast Trump as pretty much irredeemable. Maybe this is one more speed bump on the path to victory but I really, really doubt it. There are low-grade sexual predators everywhere; and women everywhere have a fairly clear take on such shenanigans.

The main point, I'm not a prude. Unwanted sexual advances happen; adult men and women can draw differing conclusions regarding various reports. And yet ... and yet ... perceptions of Trump as a creep, if not pervert, have rightfully risen in the past few days. To me this all spells T-O-A-S-T, and it couldn't have happened to a sleazier guy.
 
There is supposedly a $5m fee for breaking the non-disclosure agreement for The Apprentice tapes. I'm sure there are lots of people who would be perfectly happy to cover that if it really has Donald saying the n word or something like that.

If anyone's willing to look hard enough, there's probably a few choice moments that slipped into broadcast.

 
Being Christian is only important when you're not trying to make money or deny others' rights.
I do actually think some see Trump as a repentant sinner, but it's pretty clear his repentance is skin-deep at best.
 
I do actually think some see Trump as a repentant sinner, but it's pretty clear his repentance is skin-deep at best.
I was speaking more to the cynicism inherent in proclaiming one's Christianity and taking pride in it, then supporting Trump - a man who could reasonably be called "evil" - because one hopes to stack the Supreme Court with conservatives to re-ban gay marriage and overturn Roe v. Wade, and if Trump can also manage to impose a religious test for entry into the country (against Muslims), that would be a bonus.
 
I was speaking more to the cynicism inherent in proclaiming one's Christianity and taking pride in it, then supporting Trump -


A couple hours ago, I would have thought the same way. But then I took part in the rebirth and forgiveness of Yom Kippur ...

I'm kidding. I read this article in Cracked which, despite being on a humor site, is the clearest explanation for Trump support I have yet to read.
 
Meanwhile on the campaign trail

Trump rampages through Florida

LAKELAND, Fla. — On Wednesday, Donald Trump said Paul Ryan made a “sinister deal” to undermine him, charged that the Islamic State would conquer the United States if Hillary Clinton defeats him and vowed to jail Clinton’s lawyers along with their client.

Damn, even her lawyers! (Presidents do have that power, right?)

Actually I shouldn't joke about that because in some countries they do, and political culture probably matters even more than the letter of the law. The letter of the law only matters if there's a strong institution to uphold the law. Institutions can be undermined over time, piece by piece.
 
Meanwhile on the campaign trail

Trump rampages through Florida



Damn, even her lawyers! (Presidents do have that power, right?)

Actually I shouldn't joke about that because in some countries they do, and political culture probably matters even more than the letter of the law. The letter of the law only matters if there's a strong institution to uphold the law. Institutions can be undermined over time, piece by piece.

I have no doubt that he would very much want to do that if he was elected. I wonder how he would respond when he's told "no, he doesn't have that authority". I'm wondering what would happen if people don't tell him no.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom