• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Trump runs for POTUS / Trumped Up! Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think of the presidency as having unlimited power, nor capable of much permanent damage. We do have the mechanism of impeachment in play.

So what is Trump going to be capable of that Obama and Bush were not?

According to many on the right, Obama has spent eight years as a dictator with unlimited power. I just hope Trump isn't able to exercise as much power as he expects to do.
 
I don't think of the presidency as having unlimited power, nor capable of much permanent damage. We do have the mechanism of impeachment in play.

So what is Trump going to be capable of that Obama and Bush were not?

Umm...getting us into an all out civil war or world war??

The most dangerous characteristic of Trump is his delusional behavior. The right can complain all they want about the Great Satan Obama, but where are Obama's statements that indicate he is out of touch with reality, as opposed to simply using reality for his own 'devious' ends?

Aside from his numerous anti-science positions (which feed off popular anti-science positions), this is a guy who swears he saw 1000s of Muslims cheering 9/11 in NJ. And he wont be alone--he will surround himself with nut-job appointees who will shape the executive branch.

Obama never had the capability of mobilizing a large segment of the country that is ignorant. Trump will have that capability if elected. All he needs to do is convince a majority that its ok (and not blatantly unconstitutional) to do things like register an entire religion. He's already part way there. This is a much more real prospect than the counterexample you gave of 'instituting sharia law'.
 
Did you have some specific fear in mind? My fear button has nearly worn out with all the paranoia spawned in this election. I'm still waiting for Obama to take all the guns and institute Sharia law.

I fear a president Trump's response to a major international crisis.
Cuban missile crisis, 9-11, Iranians flipping off our sailors, that sort of thing.
Anything that would require stepping back, and getting the whole picture before responding.
 
I fear a president Trump's response to a major international crisis.
Cuban missile crisis, 9-11, Iranians flipping off our sailors, that sort of thing.
Anything that would require stepping back, and getting the whole picture before responding.

Yes, and not only that--but with his personality he would be the one to either instigate or heighten the crisis to begin with. Then, he would poorly respond to his own ill creation.
 
I don't think of the presidency as having unlimited power, nor capable of much permanent damage. We do have the mechanism of impeachment in play.

So what is Trump going to be capable of that Obama and Bush were not?

The right spread fear saying Obama would do things that Obama never said he would do. Now you are here saying we shouldn't fear Trump because Trump cannot do what Trump says he wants to....
 
I don't think of the presidency as having unlimited power, nor capable of much permanent damage. We do have the mechanism of impeachment in play.

So what is Trump going to be capable of that Obama and Bush were not?

IOW you are blind to the disasters Bush caused or at a minimum oversaw with incompetence:

9/11 -- ignored warnings, alseep at the wheel
Iraq War -- lied us into, seriously mismanaged
Katrina devastation -- appointed an incompetent head of FEMA, responded too slowly
Collapsed economy -- ignored warnings, alseep at the wheel
 
Last edited:
Which is the scarier thing under your political bed?

Trump + cheget/football?
Trump + veto?
Trump + commander in chief?
...?

Trump + access to the pod bay doors

J/k
I fear:
Trump + economists' predictions that he could crash the US economy

Trump + a Huinan Incident requiring delicate negotiations.
Trump's pride, impatience, touchiness, and temperment lead me to believe that he would not wait a week while behind-the-scenes negotiations are made. Trump is a man of action. When something as small as a critical tweet comes out he believes the best course of action is to always react immediately in order to, in his own words, "hit them hard." Trump doesn't do subtle. Trump doesn't say "stay calm, fellow Americans, we have our top men working on this and we will reach a point where all sides will be satisfied." I could go on but I assume I don't have to.

Perhaps those two fears of mine are unfounded. Perhaps Trump really will listen to foreign advisors when the press asks why things are moving slowly. Perhaps Trump will surround himself with the best and brightest AND listen to them. Perhaps the Republican Party will keep him reined in. It is just that I don't see much evidence of that up until this point.

To be fair, I will go into the debates with an open mind. I will look for a man who is prepared to step into one of the most demanding roles in the world, who is prepared to discuss complicated issues in a reasoned and reasonable manner, who has a moral compass that will lead him through difficult choices even if public opinion is vilifying him, and who feels and understands the pain and frustrations of Americans not in the top 50%. If I see firm evidence of even one of those things, I will stop and re-examine my fear and hatred of Mr. Trump.

And just to be sure I am being open minded, if he gives a good reason why he should not release even part of his current or previous tax returns, I will drop that complaint and look at the candidate with fresh eyes.
 
Last edited:
I don't think of the presidency as having unlimited power, nor capable of much permanent damage. We do have the mechanism of impeachment in play.

So what is Trump going to be capable of that Obama and Bush were not?

Obama and Bush, and all recent Presidents, have come to office after histories in other positions of great public responsibility. They understand the basic processes of politics and government. But Trump has spent his life -- literally since childhood -- making money for himself by getting over on other people, whether he's cheating contractors and customers, driving tenants out of buildings he wanted to use for other purposes, threatening and suing people who cross him, etc., etc. Trump has talked about defaulting on U.S. debt because not paying debts has worked for him in business, has said he would order the military to torture prisoners, has asked why we don't use nuclear weapons, wants to restrict freedom of the press, etc., etc. Trump rejects the basic principles that other Presidents and officials are committed to. And if he surrounds himself with sycophants like Corey and Katrina, there will be no limit to his crimes. He might be punished after the fact, but there will be nothing to prevent his acts, unless the military actually refuses to obey him which in effect is a military coup.
 
I would be embarrassed to be a Trump supporter.

I visit a lot of political communities. I try to especially go to ones I disagree with. However, the Trump Reddit community is particularly awful. And I dont mean for racism or bad policies like that. I have never seen a group, even a political circle jerk (and I have been to my share of circle jerks), so disinterested in issues and policy. I would love to make comments, but there literally isn't an issue I can comment on.

Maybe that is the point. Armor through vacuous support.
 
I would be embarrassed to be a Trump supporter.

Around here the TRUMP/PENCE yard signs far outweigh the Hillary signs, which most often do not mention Kaine.

On a recent motorcycle ride up to the Knoxville, TN area we did see two Hillary signs, both of this variety:

SF.US.423031435436435a5a41.2.jpg


Anyway 'round these here parts no one seems ashamed to broadcast their Trump support.
 
Last edited:
Around here the TRUMP/PENCE yard signs far outweigh the Hillary signs, which most often do not mention Kaine.

On a recent motorcycle ride up to the Knoxville, TN area we did see two Hillary signs, both of this variety:

[qimg]http://images.salefreaks.com/sfimages20160421/SF.US.423031435436435a5a41.2.jpg[/qimg]

Anyway 'round these here parts no one seems ashamed to broadcast their Trump support.

What is your point?
 
Around here the TRUMP/PENCE yard signs far outweigh the Hillary signs, which most often do not mention Kaine.

On a recent motorcycle ride up to the Knoxville, TN area we did see two Hillary signs, both of this variety:

[qimg]http://images.salefreaks.com/sfimages20160421/SF.US.423031435436435a5a41.2.jpg[/qimg]

Anyway 'round these here parts no one seems ashamed to broadcast their Trump support.

Isn't every one in a mobile home a Trump voter, outside of Florida? Where you just go and mummify inside and do not vote.
 
To be fair, I will go into the debates with an open mind.

I won't think keeping an open mind is gonna last much with these pair of candidates. To have a political process that shows only two candidates, one B and one C-, to cover a position that comprises 50% of the armament of the world and 17% of its economy is really painful to me.

Trump + access to the pod bay doors

J/k
I fear:
Trump + economists' predictions that he could crash the US economy

Trump + a Huinan Incident requiring delicate negotiations.

My worst fear is what might happen between a Trump winning in November and his inauguration. I'm pretty sure that on Wednesday 9th the dollar and Dow Jones would start to fall, like -but in a lesser extent- the sterling pound did when the Brexit plebiscite. That would throw Italian banks down the cliff, and then, brace yourselves peoples of the planet. The 30s' crisis was worsened by isolationism, and guess who would be in command to lead it should it happen that way.

Hillbillies have the fantasy that on a winning Trump all the CEOs and rich people are gonna exclaim "one of us, a good one, in in command, yay!". The sadly truth is that every person linked to important economical decisions is going to be trying to save their skin. Economical power worldwide would react to a "president Trump" like physicians would react to Dr. Oz becoming the head of the FDA and Perez Hilton the head of "Homeland Security".
 
I am really having a hard time imaging Trump saying "Now that I am saved, I will tithe to the church. And of course I mean gross income and not net income."

He'll just write a check from his foundation.

Steve S
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom