MinnesotaBrant
Philosopher
- Joined
- Apr 20, 2011
- Messages
- 5,827
When I was a preteen, if I held my teeth a certain way, I could get radio stations playing in my head.
Don't know about Harris, but Chopra's brain is a morass of faulty wiring and short circuits. Don't believe the ether, don't whiff it either!!!!!I was youtubing a debate with Sam Harris and Deepak Chopra and Deepak essentially bought this up. The idea that consciousness exists outside of the human brain, and the brain is just an organ to express it into a material world.
I don't believe it, simply because there is no evidence, but I find it a clever argument in that it is difficult to actually disprove.
For example, if people's brains are damaged in a way that they can no longer feel empathy, its not that empathy originates in the brain, its that the (if you will) projector can no longer project empathy (which still originates in the...metaphysical ether) into the material world.
How do the experts here deal with this particular "theory"?
When I was a preteen, if I held my teeth a certain way, I could get radio stations playing in my head.
When I was a preteen, if I held my teeth a certain way, I could get radio stations playing in my head.
When I was a preteen, if I held my teeth a certain way, I could get radio stations playing in my head.
When I was a preteen, if I held my teeth a certain way, I could get radio stations playing in my head.
I don't believe it, simply because there is no evidence, but I find it a clever argument in that it is difficult to actually disprove.
For example, if people's brains are damaged in a way that they can no longer feel empathy, its not that empathy originates in the brain, its that the (if you will) projector can no longer project empathy (which still originates in the...metaphysical ether) into the material world.
Just the same, physics cannot currently account for the subjective perceptual experience. This is a real phenomenon.
I am not saying it is mystical, but I am saying "neurons and neural nets!" is not enough. That's an adequate method to explain the data processing; it says nothing about how that real experience arises.
When you say stations, do you mean more than one was playing simultaneously or that you could acquire a variety of individual stations through some means?
It doesn't seem like a clever argument to me at all.
That doesn't make any sense.
If the brain were simply acting as a transceiver for an external mind, then nothing done to the brain or body could directly affect the functioning/processes of the mind itself, it could only interfere with the ability of the mind to control/interact with the body.
And because things such as the ability to experience empathy, or do math, or understand language, are all internal processes of the mind, nothing that could be done to the brain could possibly interfere with the mind's capacity to perform these things.
The fact that damage to the brain can interfere with the mind's capacity to perform these things is extremely compelling evidence that the mind is a product of brain activity, and does not exist independently of it.
To use a more common example, let's look at alcohol.
If the brain were only a transceiver, then alcohol consumption could only interfere with the mind/body connection, but not with the mind itself. People might lose co-ordination, have trouble focusing their eyes, ect. But their thought-processes, emotions, ect, would be unaffected, because the alcohol has no mechanism by which it can interfere with thought-processes, emotions, ect, since the mind isn't part of the body, which is where the alcohol is.
But if the mind is a product of brain activity, then alcohol could easily interfere with thought-processes, emotions, ect, because it's directly affecting the brain.
And so the fact that alcohol does interfere with thought-processes, emotions, reaction-times, alertness, ect, then this is demonstrable evidence that the mind actually is the product of brain-activity, and that the brain is not merely a transceiver for an external mind.
(Although nelsondogg seems to have beaten me to making this point.)
It's one of those unfalsifiable statements... Yet a woomeister like Chopra would look at all this and say..."So what"....You're just messing with the receiver!"
If the brain is a radio what's doing the transmitting?
The "radio" model itself might be unfalsifiable, but the claim that some aspect of the self survives the death of the brain due to the continued existence of the transmitter or transmission (which is the usual reason for the radio model being posited) can be addressed more directly.
One question is, what aspect of the self can thereby survive? Not memories; those can be lost when the brain is damaged. Not personality; that can change radically when the brain is damaged. Not language; that can be lost when the brain is damaged. Not skills or knowledge; those can be lost when the brain is damaged.
Unless, besides a transmitter, there's also a receiver and a database maintaining a backup copy. Yet oddly, that backup information must be embargoed while you're still alive in any condition. If you have advanced Alzheimer's, the database remembers your children's names (or else, how could what survives after your death be anything like yourself?), but won't transmit that knowledge to your brain even though you're awake, talking, and experiencing.
It occurs to me that if brain radio works anything like the cell phone network, next time I have trouble remembering something I should go to the most inconvenient corner of the house.
Maybe that's why gurus sit on mountaintops (at least, in cartoons). Clearer signal.
It doesn't seem like a clever argument to me at all.
That doesn't make any sense.
If the brain were simply acting as a transceiver for an external mind, then nothing done to the brain or body could directly affect the functioning/processes of the mind itself, it could only interfere with the ability of the mind to control/interact with the body.
Pretend Deepak: No, things like empathy and love come from the universal consciousness, and our brains are required to process this "energy" into our physical reality.And because things such as the ability to experience empathy, or do math, or understand language, are all internal processes of the mind, nothing that could be done to the brain could possibly interfere with the mind's capacity to perform these things.
No no, you are a biased objective materialist and are projecting that bias onto your interpretation of the evidence.The fact that damage to the brain can interfere with the mind's capacity to perform these things is extremely compelling evidence that the mind is a product of brain activity, and does not exist independently of it.
...
(Although nelsondogg seems to have beaten me to making this point.)
Even under the most favorable concessions, the "radio" argument is still just making stuff up.
To use an analogy, let's take an old-fashioned pocket watch. I, personally, don't know a whole lot about how they work. There's a knob on the top, and turning that winds up a spring which stores power, and that power engages the gears and eventually makes the hands turn. I couldn't really give you any details beyond that. But it would be ridiculous of me to say that the gears telepathically link with an invisible gremlin and he punches in the time from his computer on Mars. I don't get to fill in the blanks with my wild imagination.