whoanellie
Graduate Poster
- Joined
- Apr 4, 2012
- Messages
- 1,475
If I could jump in rather late to the horse beating. In my opinion there is not a lot of wiggle room between "Amanda was present during Meredith's murder" and "Amanda is culpable". I would be amazed - but not entirely shocked given some of the rulings we have seen - if M&B truly believed that Amanda (and Rafaele?) was present but they were able to find her not guilty.
Regarding the section of the Motivation Report that Grinder has posted: " an acclaimed fact of the trial, based on her own admissions, also contained in her signed memorial, in the part where she explains how, when she was in the kitchen, after the young Englishwoman and another person went into Kercher’s room to have sex, she heard her friend’s harrowing scream, to the lacerating and unbearable point that she slid
down, squatting on the floor, holding her hands firmly on her ears, so as to hear no
more of it." - I am struck by the word "acclaimed" and have no clue as to what the original Italian was getting at. Certainly "acclaimed fact" is not a common phrase in the English language. Anyway, Amanda's presence is an "acclaimed fact" not a "fact" and I can't judge the report's meaning without understanding that one word. Grinder can demand accuracy and precision in meaning from others but sometimes doesn't always apply the same standards to himself.
As an american I am somewhat baffled by the whole idea of "judicial fact". I am not a lawyer but as far as I can tell it is not a concept that is commonly used in US law. Courts will sometimes take "judicial notice" of certain facts such as "New Year's Day 2016 is on a Friday" but I haven't seen courts rule on issues central to a case that certain findings are "fact". To me the whole idea of "judicial fact" is at odds with the concept of "proof beyond a reasonable doubt". My understanding is that Italy had adopted a BARD standard and that BARD was discussed in the M&B MR. For me, BARD and "judicial fact" are not compatible. In the US judges issue "opinions" not MR for a reason.
Regarding the section of the Motivation Report that Grinder has posted: " an acclaimed fact of the trial, based on her own admissions, also contained in her signed memorial, in the part where she explains how, when she was in the kitchen, after the young Englishwoman and another person went into Kercher’s room to have sex, she heard her friend’s harrowing scream, to the lacerating and unbearable point that she slid
down, squatting on the floor, holding her hands firmly on her ears, so as to hear no
more of it." - I am struck by the word "acclaimed" and have no clue as to what the original Italian was getting at. Certainly "acclaimed fact" is not a common phrase in the English language. Anyway, Amanda's presence is an "acclaimed fact" not a "fact" and I can't judge the report's meaning without understanding that one word. Grinder can demand accuracy and precision in meaning from others but sometimes doesn't always apply the same standards to himself.
As an american I am somewhat baffled by the whole idea of "judicial fact". I am not a lawyer but as far as I can tell it is not a concept that is commonly used in US law. Courts will sometimes take "judicial notice" of certain facts such as "New Year's Day 2016 is on a Friday" but I haven't seen courts rule on issues central to a case that certain findings are "fact". To me the whole idea of "judicial fact" is at odds with the concept of "proof beyond a reasonable doubt". My understanding is that Italy had adopted a BARD standard and that BARD was discussed in the M&B MR. For me, BARD and "judicial fact" are not compatible. In the US judges issue "opinions" not MR for a reason.