davefoc
Philosopher
Somebody above made the point that the little side mystery associated with the downstairs evidence is irrelevant to the issue of who is responsible for the death of Kercher. That seems probable to me.
Carbonjam made a point that I agreed with that the probable relevance of the downstairs evidence to this case is that it could provide information about the approach of the PLE to evidence associated with this case. Unfortunately, the evidence associated with the blood found downstairs is not strong enough to rule out or rule in any of the theories that have been put forth. (Although Stefano, the cat torturer, is hanging by a pretty thin thread).
For me, though there was another aspect of this discussion that I found interesting. All possibilities that have been put forth seem to be unlikely and it isn't obvious what other possibilities there might be. So my curiosity was aroused but it seems unlikely to be satisfied unless, at some future time, inside information became available that would shed light on some of these minor mysteries.
As to Grinder's question about why if the PLE was going to do something like suppressing evidence with regard to the downstairs blood wouldn't they have just planted evidence and be done with it. I think, not necessarily so. There is a big jump between suppressing evidence that might be explained by some kind of prosecutorial or forensic technician discretion or mistake and directly planting evidence which is both more likely to be detected and is a much more straightforwardly identifiable crime. And planting evidence involves a much more straight forward ethical violation that Stefanoni and even perhaps Mignini would be unwilling to cross. ETA: Several people have suggested something like this during the time of this thread. I'm not laying claim to originating the idea. I'm just repeating something I agree with.
Still, I remain unconvinced of anything about this issue. I wondered about the possibility that the PLE realized that the crime scene was compromised by one of their own and somebody made the decision to just not push on the downstairs evidence to protect them. An unlikely idea, but so far I haven't seen a possibility that looked likely to me.
Carbonjam made a point that I agreed with that the probable relevance of the downstairs evidence to this case is that it could provide information about the approach of the PLE to evidence associated with this case. Unfortunately, the evidence associated with the blood found downstairs is not strong enough to rule out or rule in any of the theories that have been put forth. (Although Stefano, the cat torturer, is hanging by a pretty thin thread).
For me, though there was another aspect of this discussion that I found interesting. All possibilities that have been put forth seem to be unlikely and it isn't obvious what other possibilities there might be. So my curiosity was aroused but it seems unlikely to be satisfied unless, at some future time, inside information became available that would shed light on some of these minor mysteries.
Doesn't scenario #2 require Kercher to be attacked downstairs to explain the blood? And then she would have needed to make her way upstairs only leaving a trail of small blood drops. And then aren't there blood drops outside the door? It doesn't seem like this can be ruled out but the wounds on Kercher need to just right to leave quite a bit of blood downstairs but then only drip a little as she makes her way upstairs.I think there is some convergence here on what the likely possibilities are for the downstairs flat crime scene.
To clear up some concepts...
For #2, I don't believe anyone has proposed that Meredith went downstairs after she was attacked. She would have been too badly wounded.
Some of us have speculated that Meredith had gone downstairs before she was attacked, to water the pot plants and/or check on the famous injured cat. Some have also, I believe, speculated that she was initially attacked in the downstairs flat and then forced (or fled and was followed by her attacker) to the upstairs. I don't believe either of these scenarios are highly probable, based on the evidence of what she was wearing when attacked and the lack of any clear evidence of a struggle outside of her bedroom upstairs. The scenario in which she comes home to the upstairs flat and is attacked soon after she enters her bedroom by an intruder (Guede, who had been in the larger bathroom, apparently not visible on entry) seems simpler and fully consistent with the available evidence.
As to #3: It seems the most likely, but unfortunately still requires a conscious effort by PLE to suppress evidence. The argument for that is that the number of people involved in the conspiracy is fairly small and might have involved only Mignini and Stefanoni to be directly involved. However it seems like several other people would have had to acquiesce to the scheme and that's beginning to sound like a lot of people to involve in a scheme like this without significant risk of exposure. On the other hand Mignini seems to have gotten away with his Monster of Florence nonsense so maybe this is plausible. As to the theories about why this evidence would have hurt the case against AK/RS: Yeah, the discussion about this has made me understand that this is more likely than I realized initially. Identify the semen as Guede's and identify that the blood evidence downstairs is associated with Guede alone and the tiny thread that the prosecution's fantastical ideas about AK/RS involvement would have been a much tougher sell I think.For #3, the point is indeed that Guede would have gone downstairs to recover after he had fatally wounded and raped Meredith. In this scenario, it's assumed he either used the key she had for the downstairs, or somehow had another key. The police, who at first had made the finding out what had happened downstairs a priority (the DNA samples from downstairs were, according to available police records, among the first to be tested), decided to eliminate consideration of the downstairs as a crime scene. They did this by assigning, arbitrarily, all the bloodstains there to the cat with the injured blood. There is, however, no indication in the police records of any species-specific test (it would be an antigen-antibody test) to verify that the blood was from a cat. The approximately rectangular stain on the bed is, to me, totally improbable as a blood drip from a cat or a person; it appears to be the pattern left by part of an approximately rectangular object, such as the handle of a bloody knife. (There was a somewhat similar bloodstain on Meredith's bed, which has been attributed to the murder knife.) Human DNA profiles were obtained from a number of the downstairs bloodstains, but not revealed by the police. The DNA profiles must be human because of the primate-specific enzyme used in the DNA replication (PCR). The DNA must have been in the bloodstain itself or the underlying substrate (surface) or both.
For #3, it is my assumption that the police have suppressed the truth of the downstairs crime scene, including the DNA results, to hide the fact that only Rudy Guede was involved in the murder and rape of Meredith. Finding Guede's DNA in those bloodstains (his hand was wounded by his own knife in the attack - not uncommon in knife attacks) and Meredith's would have made his involvement too clear, while leaving no room for any involvement by Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito. The suppression of the downstairs evidence by the police is consistent with their suppression of evidence from upstairs, such as the identity of the donor of the putative semen stain on Meredith's pillow. This putative semen stain may be tied to the time of the attack because of the distinctive shoe print on part of it.
As to Grinder's question about why if the PLE was going to do something like suppressing evidence with regard to the downstairs blood wouldn't they have just planted evidence and be done with it. I think, not necessarily so. There is a big jump between suppressing evidence that might be explained by some kind of prosecutorial or forensic technician discretion or mistake and directly planting evidence which is both more likely to be detected and is a much more straightforwardly identifiable crime. And planting evidence involves a much more straight forward ethical violation that Stefanoni and even perhaps Mignini would be unwilling to cross. ETA: Several people have suggested something like this during the time of this thread. I'm not laying claim to originating the idea. I'm just repeating something I agree with.
Still, I remain unconvinced of anything about this issue. I wondered about the possibility that the PLE realized that the crime scene was compromised by one of their own and somebody made the decision to just not push on the downstairs evidence to protect them. An unlikely idea, but so far I haven't seen a possibility that looked likely to me.
Last edited: