I have actually noticed that as a general feature on this forum. JREF posters are very used to supporting the establishment view. Man did really land on the moon, homoeopathic pills really are just sugar, JFK was shot by LHO and nobody else, and so on. I think that's part of why discussions about alleged miscarriages of justice attract such hostility from some quarters, with calls to banish all such woo talk to the CT subforum.
Despite all the hoo-hah about "critical thinking", there is an entrenched mindset that automatically takes the default position that authority is always right. Sometimes it's not pretty.
The fact is, authority is usually right. It's the extrapolation to "always" that's the problem. We know that most swans are white, but we also know that black swans are occasionally encountered. It's therefore no use saying to someone who claims to have spotted a black swan that this can't be so because "swans are white". And yet that is how many guilters think.
Even those in Australia, where I understand most swans are black. Italy - the Australia of the criminal justice system.
Rolfe.
Whilst I cannot speak for others I would accept that as a fair description of me. I would normally accept the police view. For me to be arguing for wrongful prosecution is unusual. On the other hand I am argumentative and do like to check things out for myself. What convinced me was the motivation report from the first court was so illogical that it made me look at things in more detail. Once I did I realised that much of the forensic science was bogus. There is a common theme for experts to be given undue weight in courts and the underlying arguments to be insufficiently proven. Robbins on footprints is a good example. There seem to be multiple cases of poor fire analysis in resulting in wrongful convictions, this seems to be because 'unqualified' fire people give forensic evidence.